Every medical practice should take the time to review their entire practice. Literally go through everything! Use the below questions as a check list. If you answer NO to any of the below questions, then you need to Spring Clean right now!
- Do you know what is in every closet, storage space, and drawer in your office?
- Do you have a list of office supplies that you order?
- When was the last time you did price checks on each item?
- Do you have supplies scattered throughout the office and keep ordering the same supplies before you need them?
- Do you have a list of medical supplies?
- When was the last time you did price checks on them?
- Are you hoarding paper?
- What is in your desk drawer?
- Keep important documents in a binder
- Do your EOBs need their own room?
- Do you have routing/encounter forms and face sheets and patient forms?
- Do you have paper medical records for patients who haven’t returned in years?
- Who in your office loves to hang on to any and every thing ‘just in case?’
- What has the patient experience been like this year?
- What insurance issues have you faced this year?
- What types of denials are you typically seeing?
- Have you seen an increase or decrease in new patients?
- Are you maximizing the benefits of your EHR or keeping paper and electronic records still? Why?
- Are you signed up for every EFT and ERA possible?
- When was the last time you reviewed your NPI information and insurance directory information?
- Do your new and existing patient forms need revamping?
Medical practices are multi-faceted – it’s not just about seeing patients, paying bills, and waiting for insurance companies to pay. Every aspect of the business is important to maintain the practice’s health.
Your medical practice needs a yearly physical!!
Perform it today and prevent a crisis in the future.